Wandering the meandering streets of Europe Kim and I encountered indecent proposals, awe inspiring architecture, marvelous country sides, and all wonderful people.
In all of Europe there was one image that has been burned into my mind and truthfully, the only thing that bothered me for my entire three weeks there. We saw gypsy women using terrible genocide crisis and the "generosity" of English speakers at Notre Dame in Paris, men using children in the streets of Prague, and pickpockets and thieves in Rome, each trying to make their way. None of this really bothered me, the one scene however, after lunch Kim and I were trying to find a Belgian Chocolate Store, there was a little girl no older than five years old walking in front of us with no adult for half of a block. We approached stairs and saw a beggar woman dressed in all black at the very bottom step. The little girl, dressed in a purple and pink sweater and khaki pants went up to the woman and threw her hands out implying she came back with nothing. The woman's although mournful and worried, her eyes said "It's okay, it'll be fine, we will have to figure something else out," as she held out her arms for the child. As we walked away I could not help but turn around, I turned around to see the woman rocking the child in her arms.
I don't know any more of their story.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment